01 December, 2006

I love my kids....


A few of my seventh grade girls.


Some of my eighth grade boys...along with Naomi... up in a tree.

....all 82 of them! My primary ministry in Africa is to teach at Hillcrest School. About 40% of our school's population are missionary children. We have children from the States, Nigerian, Korea, New Zealand, Canada, Lebanon, South Africa, UK, etc. When I first arrived, I wondered if I would ever memorize names and put them with faces....but it didn't take too long at all. I have enjoyed getting to know each kid's personality, likes, dislikes, struggles and joys. We pray together, laugh together, and (hopefully) learn together. Each day is full of surprises (performing security drills, discussing politics, putting out a desk that had been lit on fire, hunting creative discipline methods, finding braids left in my classroom, etc) ...and I have never once thought, "I am bored" -what middle school teacher has?! I am usually ready for a weekend by Friday and am looking forward to a new week on Sunday nights. What a joy it is to be able to talk to my students about Jesus Christ. Some of my kids are Christians, some are Muslim, others claim a tribal religion. Please pray for the hearts of my unbelieving students to be softened and drawn to the Lord. Each child carries such heavy burdens as many are far from home, have relatives in unsafe conditions, are living in hostels, living in an uncertain time and place, struggling with being a 'tween' and finding out what they personally believe and needs so much prayer. Thank you for lifting up these that I have quickly grown to love. We only have two weeks until our Christmas break.....may we finish this semester well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - what an accomplishment! Almost done with your first semester - and it sounds like you've done well. Hope the girls are adjusting to their braces well - I'm sure they're sore. Think of you all often and pray for you daily. I love reading about your experiences.