09 September, 2006

Children, Lost Luggage, and Jim Elliot



I took this photo the first weekend we were here. These chiildren we saw on the side of the road selling eggs, nuts, corn, whatever they had. The children are so joyful. Their smiles are beautiful and contagious.

Today we are going into Miango for lunch, a movie (with popcorn) and tea. If you know me well, you know I don't drink tea-not hot or cold, not sweet or iced. None, nada , never. However, when I am told that tea time will include chocolate, I am there! Our first chocolate since we've been in Nigeria. We're going!

We finally received the rest of our luggage this week. The luggage we checked onto British Airways on 20 August is finally here! Well....the boxes are here. Some things are missing, tho. All of our coffee, chocolate chips, most prescription meds, my art/scrapbook supplies, and sweets (I had stocked up a bit on Choxie at Target!) are missing. I am mourning my trusty ol' Fiskar's trimmer who had been with me the last 10 years. I didn't bring much out, just a trimmer, adhesive and some RSower paper. I'll be digging up something in the markets of Jos before long, tho. My fingers are itching to create. Jon and Naomi mourning the hope of coffee (they haven't resorted to the available instant). Fortunately, we can get any prescription meds we need here with no problem, and no prescription!

We are finally getting a handle of our scope of ministry here. Beyond the many needs of MK (missionary kids) in class, I have quite a few Muslim children in my classes. Most are well "doctrinated" and vocal. One Muslim girl, a student of mine, pulled me aside after class one day. She asked me if I understood what she would lose if she professed the name of Jesus. As she shared what happened to a person in her family who became a believer, I was reminded of the need to share what she has to gain. May I not lose hope in the miracle of our Lord, the miracle of salvation! I pray often every day for the Holy Spirit to draw these children to our Lord and for strength to make the stand, no matter what.

After going through a study of Jim Elliot with my eighth grade class, I have posted a quotes of his that are my favorite beside my desk. Here are a few:

“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road; make me a fork, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.”

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”

“I many no longer depend on pleasant impulses to bring me before the Lord. I must rather respond to principles I know to be right, whether I feel them to be enjoyable or not. “

“Most laws condemn the soul and pronounce sentence. The result of the law of my God is perfect. It condemns but forgives. It restores - more than abundantly - what it takes away. “

“Those whimpering Stateside young people will wake up on the Day of Judgment condemned to worse fates than these demon-fearing Indians, because, having a Bible, they were bored with it - while these never heard of such a thing as writing."

“Wherever you are - be all there.” – Jim Elliot

No comments: