20 October, 2006

Packing List


We have had so many people email us about what we packed and what we wish we had brought to Africa. (Many are missionaries about to come out for the first time.) If you are one of them, here is the list I promised to post. I hope it helps you as you are packing for your journey. God speed.

Items I am SO glad we brought:
*ziplock bags
*pillows
*lotion
*lots of ibuprophen (and Tylenol PM)
*toothpaste and other personal items (VERY expensive here)
*some seasonings (we use LOTS of Ranch dressing mix and taco seasoning)
*a camera
*flip flops
*a pink spatula (it makes cooking FUN!)
*a computer
*lip balm (but we should have brought more!)

Items I wish we had brought:
>Ground coffee
> Koolaid
> Music CDs
> DVDs
> Standard pillowcases and queen size sheets
> Blankets
> Seasoning packets
>Photo paper
>duffle/sports bags to carry items to and from gym classes
> Any "quick prep" packets (blueberry muffin mix, mix
> for soups, etc.)
> Velveeta or any cheese that can be brought over
without being kept cold
> Pepperoni
> Pens
>dryer sheets
> Sleeveless blouses
>candy to give out to the kids
> US Stamps
>fun folders for the girls for school
> Bacon Bits
>SureJel (to can some jam)
> Parm. Cheese
> Books/magazines
> Jolly Ranchers (my students beg for these-and I can
bribe them!)
> Photos of Friends and Family
> Choc. Chips
> A few basic art supplies (whomever took these from our
luggage, I hope they are enjoying them!)
> Family Size tea bags
> Extra Backpacks for the girls (theirs have ripped already)
>Lunch packs-we take our lunch to school as there is no cafeteria
> A couple of Christmas ornaments
>Potholders

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie, I met you though croptoberfest several years ago. I have been keeping up with your blog and just want to say "thank you" for being so unselfish by doing what you are doing. I thank God that we have people like you. I would love to send Kool-aid, seasoning and some other goodies. How would I go about doing that? Your family is in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Julie,
I have sent more packages of goodies from the Croptoberfest girls. I hope these get to you. Many, Many items on your list are on the way. I am sending out 2 packages a week. I was advised not to send more than that and to send them out spuratically so that no one notices to keep watching for these packages.