31 July, 2007

Every Now and Then

As I walked through the open market today in Jos, not much seemed to phase me like it all did less than a year ago. But every now and then I am transformed back to our first few months here in Nigeria…such as when I trekked down the muddy paths for the first time when the fishy odors about caused me to lose my lunch. The extremely unsanitary meat section fascinated me and I watched for almost an hour as numerous animals and fowl were slaughtered and butchered. I was overwhelmed by the fabric choices and had no idea what a “fair” price was. Mudo (bowls) of rice, black-eyed peas, milk powder, etc. were being sold at every corner and I couldn’t imagine buying my staples in such a way. I felt very uncomfortable with the color of my skin as I heard “bature” (white person) being announced with shouts as I walked among the Nigerians. My eyes were always drawn to the little children who were happily playing in the filth of the sides of the market and I wondered how babies were able to be content on the backs of their mothers. To me, everyone looked similar and I wondered how I would ever acquire all that needed to be learned.

Today, it all seemed so normal…so very familiar. We greeted our Ibo friends at the fabric area and petted a goat that must have been headed to the meat market. We bartered for some fabric, but were confident to walk away when we knew the price was too high because we were “bature”. With just a glance or a quick greeting, I could often recognize who was from which tribes. As live chickens were thrust into our faces, we only laughed and moved on. Two mudos of rice, 25 kilos of sugar, one kilo of meat and two small sweet melons (similar to cantaloupe) that Naomi bartered down for the change she had in her hands were the fruits of our shopping day.

As a family we were talking about how our comfort level and contentment MUST be the Lord’s work because every now and then we remember when we would cry ourselves to sleep, thinking we wouldn’t make it another day here. Here…a place we now call home…home sweet home.

No comments: