31 July, 2007

Restored

There are times that I wish I had my camera in my hand to capture a moment that I don’t want to forget. However, Sunday was a day I don’t think a camera could have captured all the images that will be forever embedded in my memory….images I pray I will never forget.

With much on my mind and struggles in my heart, I was not focusing well on worship. The days ahead seemed to be heavy with work and concerns for the future were plaguing my thoughts. I remember praying on the way to church that the Lord would help me concentrate on His attributes as I worshiped. Never would have I have guessed how He would answer that prayer……

We arrived about 8:25AM for the 8:00 English service (right on time, Nigerian-style). The church was filling quickly and we were about 5 rows from the back. I am not good with numbers, but there were over a thousand people, I feel sure. The children sat on laps and the congregation was asked a few times to scoot together so more could be added to the wooden benches. There were still many who were left standing due to lack of seating. Naomi and I shared our laps to hold three Nigerian children. Don’t know whose they were, but they clamored to be in our laps and we happily obliged. What I thought would be distractions quickly became answers to a prayer. As I watched Mattie and one of the little girls smile at each other and hold hands, I was reminded of how unconditionally the Lord loves us. When the little boy beside Naomi climbed up in her lap and put his chubby arms around her neck, I thought of how we are called to have the faith of a child. As we sang in Hausa and English, I was amazed by how many characteristics of God were mentioned and I was able to focus on Him.

The Lord created us to worship Him and I am so thankful that He used the actions of a few children to remind me of His faithfulness and unconditional love. When I focus on how magnificent He is, all my concerns seem small and I am restored. He is my security, my comfort, my hope, my joy.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Our team from Ohio is in Jos for a few more days, making connections and capturing video. They've made many good God connections as they've reported from the field. I pray for your family often.