04 October, 2007

Concert and Chocolate






Thursday Afternoon- I was tired from teaching all week with a horrid cold and was looking forward to a relaxing evening with a bit of chocolate (secretly hoarding a few Hershey kisses) and a few tunes from James Blunt in the comfort of my Levis! Then I remembered....I was to be chaperoning the middle schoolers during their band/choir concert at 7:30 PM. I had been asked to arrive at 6:30 to help the music teacher while she warm up the kids....and it was already 6:10! I quickly sucked down a couple of tylenol, brushed my teeth, and drove over to the school....

........and was warmly greeted by the students, with instruments in hand. They were all dressed up and ready to perform. And perform they did! The 7th grade band has improved and we even enjoyed a few duets! The 7th grade choir sang "Takadamu" - Swahili for "Lead the Way"....and it was fun to watch their movements to the song. A highlight of the evening was the 8th grade band playing a bit of Corelli and Mozart and a piece from Star Wars, Revenge of the Sith! WOW....they were incredible!

I find it such a blessing for our students to each be able to learn to play an instrument. Every middle school student is in band. Over 85 kids. (I don't pray for our music teacher enough!)

After tucking in bed my trumpet playing/choir member daughter, Mattie, she asked me if I enjoyed the concert. Without hesitation I said, "ABSOLUTELY! I wouldn't have missed it for anything." After all, the chocolate can wait.

No comments: