06 January, 2008

Prosperity Theology

If you have a strong enough faith, you can get that big house you always dreamed of...ask and it will be given to you....think positively...believe and nothing will go wrong.....

I thought it was a heresy-this prosperity theology. Turns out it has been a heresy of my own soul. This is probably the greatest lesson I learned this past week at our mission's Spiritual Life Conference. At times I have thought that if I obeyed the Lord and served well (sometimes even dangerously), all would be ok. Things would turn out for my good. Nothing could really hurt me or those I love. Not the prosperity theology I had so often criticized in my heart...or is it? No where in scripture am I assured that all would go as I think it should. In fact, I find the opposite. I am called to be a living sacrifice. When the Lord uses me for His ultimate purposes and perfect will, I cannot understand what I must go through. May I grow to find joy in my trials...because then I am becoming more like Christ.


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll,
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

1 comment:

Ej jolivet said...

It is man who desires prosperity The lord desires worshiper. I'm great ful that you have stood in the gap for me reaching those who are lost and sick.
Always remember he who wins souls is wise. Prv 11:30