06 May, 2007

A Letter to My Class

I lost it. Just flat out lost it with one of my classes on Friday. They have such passion for life….and passion for each other….and passion for talking to each other about their passion for life…IN MY CLASS! I was so upset. Not at them,…but at what they have done to me. (Don’t take that wrong…just keep reading.) See, I thought this would be easy: come to Nigeria, teach for two years, do what I was called to do, and go back home. I even counted the cost of going without certain conveniences. No big deal---lose a bit of weight, learn to go without a daily shower, who really needs electricity? All was going as planned. Until….until I fell in love. Forgot to factor that in…didn’t even occur to me that it would happen at all. No forewarning. And I like things planned…

So…Class of 2011-
I will not apologize. I am not sorry. I admit it. I love you all. I don’t know why and I don’t understand how it happened. But I look forward to watching you continue to grow—as a class and individually. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of what I think you’ll be like in a few years and it makes me smile. I will miss you more than you’ll know next year when you are in high school. There…I admitted it! Now, about class: I am glad you are passionate about life. I am glad you are passionate about each other….just simmer your passion down IN MY CLASS!

Love,
Mrs. Parker

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY.....that was very nice of you....i admit that you have put a completely different image of what a good teacher can be in our head...which is not only someone who teaches you every day but also someone that can be your friend and be able to teach you with love!!!!!!we are really going to miss you today!!!!!!!!!!!!!MAZEN

Anonymous said...

heeyyyy....that was really touching... thank you for being such a nice and fun teacher...you are a great inspiration to see that teachers dont only have to teach their students, but also have to befriend them...as a teacher you are great, as a friend you are greater, and as a role model you ROCK!!!!

scrapworking said...

Hugs girlfriend! I'm sure you are an amazing teacher and an inspiration to your students. I know you are passionate and loving. You're doing a fantastic job...of the heart.

Sharon in FL