20 May, 2007

May 06 I LOVE MY BIRTHDAY




But I despise the hype. After losing one of my brothers at a much too early age, each year I am so thankful when my birthday comes around…another year with those I love dearly. But I don’t like the (often artificial) hype of birthdays. The older I get, the more private I become. My sweet girls, their friends and my students helped make the day very special. Homemade hummus, many hugs, beautiful handmade cards, a meal of milkshakes and fries, some cakes, and my favorite movie-the perfect gifts! Then, they saved the best for last-we went away for a day of MUCH needed relaxation, out of Jos. As I watched my children play, talk, and just enjoy the day without phones, school work, or other obligations I realized just how blessed I am. Jon was safely in the states recovering. I am so thankful he didn’t have to have surgery and that he was ok. We have three girls who are as different as points on a triangle, each experiencing different things in life. Sitting out on a rock, I prayed for each of them…prayed that the trials they are each facing today will become tomorrow’s testimony. Prayed that they will learn that life isn’t about how many years you live, but how you live those years.

2 comments:

Mayberry Family said...

Happy late birthday! It's about time you updated this thing! Just kidding, I know the electricity situation!

Anonymous said...

i forgot to email you on your birthday, but i did remember to say a prayer for you - and your family!

I drove thru Nashville last week and again yesterday. I was sad I couldn't call you like usual!

Miss you!!
Cheri