29 August, 2007

My Favorite Teacher

His classroom was at the very back of the building. I remember being thrilled to step into his room. It was where I wanted to go if I had any free time. Why do I remember the room? Because I loved the teacher and what he taught. Mr. Jenkins taught me how to shadow block letters, to fire clay to make a pretty cool bowl, to combine colors and what white space means. I guess I really liked Mr. Jenkins as a teacher because he gave me the tools and freedom to freely create....even in grade school. But I believe that Mr. Jenkins still sticks out in my mind thirty years later because of what he taught beyond the set curriculum-the little things that became so big, so important. He remembered birthdays. He talked to me if he saw me in the grocery store. He treated each of us as someone special, not just another student. Perhaps Mr. Jenkins taught us so much more than what a pencil and colors can do; he taught us the art of love.

As we begin this new year of school, I am reminded that what I teach in the classroom becomes rubbish if I am not loving my students...and showing them that I love them. If they don't remember what a gerund is, that is ok...but I pray that they will never forget...even thirty years from now... that they are loved and are very special to one old English teacher!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dont worry i will always remember you... it can be after 30 years i will remember you it can even be after 60 years i will remember you.. i will remmber you for the trust you trusted me... i trust you too...

thnx mama... you rock...
43