23 May, 2008

Brothers/Sons



I can remember when we were thinking of moving to Africa, a few people thought that the move would be the worst thing we could do to the girls. How I wish I could share with you the joys of living here from the girls' eyes. We love the culture here....it is a protective culture with many uncles and aunties (and brothers) to help guide and love.

One of the joys of living here has been the depth of relationships we have formed. The other day I heard one of our girls call someone "a brother from another mother"-a true description of how they see some of the kids who hang out at our house. We are so blessed to have some older guys who will come over (usually to eat, I think) and yet still pay attention to the girls. They help with homework, play ball, and talk about snakes (with Nai, of course)! I can tell that the bond has truly become like siblings because they also fight like brother/sister.

Growing up with only brothers, I knew what our girls were missing out by not having someone to care for them like only a brother can. The Lord also knew that need and has provided brothers that could not be better picked for our family than if we were bound by blood. Along with the girls enjoying their brothers, Jon and I feel as if we have gained sons. I love our sons! I am so blessed.

Recently I took a few boys into town for one to buy a phone. As I watched Naomi freely interact with these 6 foot boys from various parts of the world, I became a wee bit emotional and my heart smiled. As we crossed the busy street, one grabbed her hand to help her get safely across. Whether it is joking around or lending a hug, these boys have been there for my girls. My girls are blessed.

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~Carol Sobieski and Thomas Meehan, Annie



2 comments:

Unknown said...

mrs. parker...
i wont say mama nymore...
but the girls are still my sisters...
sometimes you take life to seriously, i was just making a joke that i was not going to wash teh boat, well its also the truth, i am not. i will just help the people who are going to, but thanks for all the things you have done for me in the past two years.
i love you mama!!
;-)

Unknown said...

This is so great! In Zambia, we were (my family is) running a boarding school, and two of the girls that come there from Tanzania are just like sisters to us. It's been such a blessing having them as sisters, and being able to be a brother to them. I'm glad that you have shared that blessing and privilege in Nigeria.