08 May, 2008

I am blessed.

This week has been a rough one emotionally for me. My late brother's birthday was this week and still I miss him so very much. Some hard conversations were had with those I dearly love as I prepare to leave. I feel the pressure of getting much done and yet the need to fully embrace and enjoy the precious few days ahead. A hard week. A very hard week.

The weekend began with the first of many goodbyes. On Friday night we headed to friends' house for a dinner and a farewell party. Farewell was said to three families who are leaving Nigeria this month. Much laughter and even a few more tears were shared. On Sunday Jon and I drove out to Miango (about 40 minutes of VERY bumpy roads) to say farewell to another couple who his heading back to New Zealand after serving 17 years in Nigeria! On the way back, I got sick. So very sick.

But we returned home to find a PARTY waiting for us. What a joy it was to see so many of my favorite people here in our house. (Even though they had ALL kept this party a big surprise from me-and I rarely like surprises! But this one, I loved!)
As I went around the room and thought of each person there, I realized how truly blessed I am. The four teachers I work most closely with were to my right. They have listened to, laughed and cried with and worked beside me every day for the last two years. I could never ask for better co-workers! Jon and the girls were next-just smiling as big as could be.

Then, scattered throughout the room were my former students. I love them dearly. No explanation as to why they hang here so much, but I am glad they do. We spent the rest of the evening sharing memories and making new ones. If I could have stopped time, I would have stopped it then. So very thankful that a hard week had an incredible ending! I am blessed.

3 comments:

*Heather said...

I'm sorry you have had a hard week! Hard to believe it's been 2 years (of course easy for me to say!) I will be praying for you in the weeks and days ahead and as you prepare to come back...bittersweet I am sure!

Unknown said...

i am glad you had a good time mama... sorry i lied... it was for the better good, to keep it a surprise. luv ya

Anonymous said...

Okey-dokey, Mrs. P.
God is with you and He loves you.