29 May, 2008

Worth It All



Monday was a day to swim and forget about all the hassles of the previous week and to enjoy a day without thinking of goodbyes. And it became a day I will never forget. After a quick lunch and some resting, we decided to brave the water and swim for a bit. When we got in the water, it was cold and the other side felt far away, but we were excited about the challenge and set off for the other side. The water was so muddy, we couldn't see an inch below the surface. We got caught in fishing lines and fishing nets with dead fish stuck in them. (Honestly, those fish really creeped me out.) The way over wasn't too hard at all. We laughed and talked all the way. The other side brought so much fun and we make incredible memories. At times it was cold. Very cold. At times we sunk into mud REALLY deep. We got a few cuts and bruises, but it was one of the best days ever. After a while though, we knew it was time to go back.

I was a little tired by this time and wondered where the energy would come from to get back across. The way back wasn't nearly as fun, in fact, it took some effort. The other side seemed further away the more we swam. Eventually we arrived, tired, cut, bruised, and sad it was over. But, it was worth it all.

------

Today we are finishing our packing. I feel as if I am on the other side of the lake. I do not want to swim back. Not sure where the energy will come from and I don't want it to end. But reality has hit and I began packing yesterday (finally!). The way back will be long and it might not be as much fun or as exciting. We leave smiling for what we have had here, but sobbing for all we are leaving behind. But, I can say with no hesitation, it was worth it all.

------

Schedule:

Friday (30 May) - drive to Abuja, spend night
Saturday - flight to London, spend night
Sunday - flight to Chicago, flight to Nashville, arrive in evening

Please pray for our final goodbyes, final packing, flights and connections, customs, etc.
We will be staying with friends in the Pleasant View, TN area as we continue to look for immediate housing, jobs, vehicles, etc.
We look forward to seeing many of you and catch up on life over the last two years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie,
I'm sad because you are sad
but I am happy because I'll be seeing you soon!
May God keep you all safe and I pray He will comfort you

Love you!